Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Progress Continues

I have continued to make headway on the shower project.  The new shower floor is in and has been coated with waterproofing.


The walls have been re-textured and the trim installed.  Everything has received several coats of new paint.  We did change the bathroom color from Antique Heritage Lace to Courtyard Tan.  New color is not as yellow.  Even the ceiling was repainted as I have installed new quieter and more powerful vent fans in the main bath and in the toilet room.  New toilet has also been installed as after we started this project we noticed the old one had cracked.  When I took the old toilet out I discovered it was because the old toilet flange had warped.

So I cut the old flange out and found it had not been correctly installed.  So a trip to Lowes and some work with a chisel and that problem was rectified.  Now is when the interesting part started.  We needed to replace the toilet so Pam and I went off to Lowes.  Now I have always used Kohler toilets when I need to replace and have never had a problem.  However, there was a Jaccuzzi brand with smooth sides that seemed like a good idea and it was 100 dollars less than the Kohler.  So we take one home.  I start unpacking it and find out what is in the box does not match what was on display and it is damaged to boot.  So that one goes back.  It seems they don't have the toilet on display but they have an American Standard that is similar.  So I purchase this one which the 100 dollar savings is now gone as it is actually more than the Kohler I usually buy but it will be easier to clean.  It also weighs a ton.  I go home with it and unpack it and notice it has a factory defect.  So back we go to Lowes again.  Now at this point my patience is wearing thin and so is Pam's so we buy the Kohler.  Long story short no problems it installs like a dream.  Moral of the story is sometimes it is best to stick with a product you know.

But back to the remodel.  Tile floors and grout get cleaned and new hardware is put up all around. Including new light switches (the rocker type) and outlets.  Granite countertops get sealed and caulking is removed and replaced throughout the whole bathroom.


Here you can see the sheet rock is all patched and painted.  Yes I do take that many supplements.


New more powerful Vent Fan




Shower floor has been tiled.

Next step is to put in the lower border tile, finish around the drain then comes the grout and final hardware trim out and this project will be finito.  Its about time.  Then I can start working outside.  Oh Boy!

More Later

Bruce and Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment