Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Very Expensive Walking Stick

This spring we discovered that one our our Shumard Oaks had died in last years severe winter.  So we called our arborist and he suggested that we try a Chinkapin Oak to replace it.  He searched around and found a really good looking tree in a hundred gallon barrel.

We arranged to get it delivered and he removed the old tree and planted the new.  We ran a new bubbler from the nearest sprinkler head to insure that it was properly watered.  Well in the process we also got new neighbors who had their sprinkler system fixed and actually used it.  Long story short it appeared the tree got too much water and I walked out one morning to see a dead tree.

My tree guy replaced the tree and this time we decided to go with a Bald Cypress.  They like water (So now it looks like we are going into a drought).  Anyway I know that he likes walking sticks so I told him to save the trunk and I would carve him a rustic walking stick.

I let the trunk dry for several months then broke out my new Lancelot Power Carver.  It is basically a chain saw on a disk that fits an angle grinder.  The chips were flying and I noticed other things were too.  It seems the tree had been hit by borers and two and bored right to the heart of the tree.  So I basically performed and autopsy on the tree,  Bald Cypress are not prone to borers so the decision is looking better all the time.  Any way I rough out the stick and set it in the garage to cure further.  After several weeks I fill the holes with plastic wood and sand away.  Apply a clear finish, a leather hand grip and a braided leather strap.  Added a few bear claws for good measure.  And we have a very expensive walking stick.



Hopefully I have gauged the height right or a few inches may need to be removed from the stick.  Chinkapin in not a commercially viable wood though it is a part of the oak family.  It was fairly easy to carve but I was not trying to achieve any fine details.  It finishes well.  By the way the Lancelot tool chops borers up real well.  Though it does smell a bit.  There were two that escaped the carnage only to die when I treated it with bug killer.  They dropped to floor.  They were about the size of my little finger and about as long.  Nasty little devils with and expensive appetite.  But the stick was fun to carve so now I am looking for another suitable candidate.

More later

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment