Thursday, January 13, 2011

Well The Lathe Still Works

Even though it was still cold today I couldn't wait any longer to see if my lathe still worked.  Good news is it does.  Better news is the new sharpener I got actually sharpens my lathe tools.  In just a few minutes I had turned a plate.  Now if you are familiar with the old saying if you only have a hammer everything looks like a nail.  You would get that having turned the plate I needed to carve something on it.  So here it is.


Fifteen minutes to turn, 45 minutes to clean up, 2 hours to carve and 30 minutes to paint.  Result something unique.  The Santa design is mine.  You will be seeing more of him in days to come.  The plate is turned out of Aspen.  Aspen is a very white wood semi hard and carves well.  Best of all it has a very pleasant smell when you are working it.  Not as strong as pine.


More Later
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment