Thursday, March 29, 2012

This Place is Going to the Birds

Yes I know it's "Going to the Dogs"  However this last week we have been working on the backyard and many of the projects are for the birds.  While we like birds the real driving force is our cats.  The birds give them something to watch during the day from their indoor perches.

Here is the Purple Martin house I put up.  Don't let the claim on the box fool you.  They are not easy to assemble, though it is an ingenious design executed in all plastic so no rot to worry about.  I mounted it on a home engineered PVC mount so it also will not become a lightning rod.



Three of the 12 houses are now occupied.  I am pretty sure by Purple Martins.  I say pretty sure as the Martin is a member of the swallow family and I have only seen females the male is the one with the deep purple coloration.

Some of the other things we have in the backyard are for us as they draw humming birds and butterflies.  Perhaps my love of butterflies goes back to my father's father a world renowned entomologist.  Any way here are some pictures.  Not quite the Dallas Arboretum but nice this time of year







We added some new trees to the backyard as well.  Some Italian Cypress and a Spartan Juniper.  These should grow to twenty to 30 feet tall pretty quickly.



Spring is in full swing here and I am worried that we will have a hot and brutal summer.  The good news is for the first time in many years the local lakes are all full thanks to some pretty significant rain in February and March.



More Later

Bruce and Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment