Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Short Trip Down Memory Lane

When Pam and I first got married we were pretty creative.  We had to be to live on a starting teacher's salary.  We built or remodeled most of our furniture and apparently had a pretty good time doing it.  We have recently begun to revisit some of those types of projects now for hobby more than for necessity.  It seems we not only enjoyed building the funiture or crafts but also got exactly what we wanted rather than buying what was offered.  In the last year or so we both returned to sewing, Pam makes cards and I have returned to carpentry.  She has enrolled in a quilting class starting in October.  I fully intend to drag back out the lathe and the woodcarving tools (still in the planning stages) in the near future.

The jist of the story is that I finished a project that has been on the board for a while.  It has just been too hot to get out and build the frame for it.  However, a recent brief reprieve in the heat sent me scurring into the garage to get the frame put together and below is the result.


This ottoman was the first upholstered project in about 25 years.  For good measure I threw in a matching pillow for the chair.  Designed and built from scratch the neat thing is the fun we had finding the fabric and then also that we can redo it anytime we want.


Smokey had to put his two cents in after giving it a good sniff.  Blaze is small enough he can fit under it and I left a secret hiding place inside for him.


Blaze's favorite project is still the new cat beds I made for the bathroom window (kitty TV) that match the new curtins I made.


Blaze also likes to sit on the back of my chair.  That way he doesn't lose track of me and miss out on getting a cat treat.


Pam started making Baby Quilts for the teachers at here school that were expecting.  Little did we know there would be a baby boom.  This is just some of them.



For most of these we included recieving blankets, burp cloths and wipee and tissue holders that match.  For several I made matching gift sacks (diaper bags) from the same material.



Most were coordinated to a theme (at least color wise) that they had established for the baby's room.  Several were baseball themed.  Finding baseball material is not easy.  I ended up at several fabric outlets on Harry Hines (Dallas' Market District) to find something that would work.

Well this was a long post so until later.  Ciao

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment