Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We Are Back

The last few weeks have been a bit challenging on the computer front.  We started having problems with an add on to Microsoft Word that I had installed quite a while back for real estate.  I haven't used it in quite a while but it over time had started to mess up the registry.  Not a big problem just uninstall it right.  Not so easy.  It didn't want to go without a fight.  After a week or so of running every registry cleaner I could find I finally was able to make it go away and restore at least some functionality to my Microsoft Office Suite which was trashed in the process.  However, that turned out to be quite a bit more than just reinstalling as I had upgraded Office 2003 to Office 2007 instead of buying a full copy.  Turns out that was a bad idea.  After much pouring through tech sites on the web I found an article on how to get my old Office 2003 limping along.

I then decided the better part of valor was to install a new email client, Office Suite and Internet Browser.  Open Office works quite well for what Pam and I need and the price is right, free.  It reads and write all of our old files.  My new email client is Thunderbird by Mozilla, it handles spam much better than outlook and has some neat features outlook does not.  And finally the new internet Browser is Firefox also by Mozilla.  All have given new life to my office PC.  I was actually out shopping for a new one on Saturday.  Now there is no need.

On another front I have been working a temp job for the last four weeks and probably have four more to go.  I don't know if I will make it the full four weeks.  I am sitting in front of a computer from 8:30 until 5:30 every day typing pretty much non stop.  Short lunch break and lots of typing.  Not exactly my cup of tea.  I have never in my career done anything remotely similar.  The closest I could come would be when I was scheduling the High School back in the 80s and that only lasted for about a week.  Foreclosure Listing Coordinator is what I am doing for this company.  However you would never guess that is non stop email.  Oh well.  Live and learn.

Hope all of you are well.

Bruce and Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment